You are here: Home > Health > Entitlement to health services > Health services for visitors to Ireland

Health services for visitors to Ireland


Certain visitors may be entitled to free public health services. In particular, people from other European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) member states or Switzerland who are visiting Ireland temporarily (for example, on holiday or on business) are entitled to free emergency health services. You should bring your European Health Insurance Card with you when you are travelling to Ireland (or if you are from the UK you can bring evidence of UK residence).

Workers who are posted from other EU/EEA member states or Switzerland are entitled to get medical cards.

Students from other EU/EEA countries or Switzerland are entitled to emergency services and may be entitled to get medical cards depending on the length of their stay.

Ireland and Australia have a reciprocal health agreement. This means that Australian visitors to Ireland are entitled to receive emergency public hospital treatment subject to the normal charges for non-medical card holders in Ireland. They are also entitled to assistance towards the cost of prescribed drugs and medicines on the same basis as those normally resident in Ireland.

Other people who come to live, work and study here or who retire to Ireland are likely to be regarded as living here (ordinarily resident is the legal term) and to come under the rules as described in Entitlement to Public Health Services and medical cards.

Other visitors to Ireland are not entitled to avail of free or subsidised public health services except in cases of hardship. In general, if they have to use health services, they must pay the full economic cost of those services.


Your entitlement to health services is mainly based on residency and means, rather than on your payment of tax or Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI). Broadly speaking, if you are living here and intend to continue to live here for at least a year, you will be considered to be ordinarily resident. This applies regardless of your nationality and anyone who is accepted by the Health Service Executive (HSE) as being ordinarily resident in Ireland is entitled to limited eligibility for health services or to full eligibility and a medical card. There are, however, some exceptions to this and these are described below.

Your nationality, in itself, does not determine your entitlement but there are specific rules covering EU/EEA nationals and Swiss nationals.

European Union rules

If you have an entitlement to healthcare in another EU/EEA member state or Switzerland, you may have an entitlement to healthcare in Ireland under EU rules. If you are visiting Ireland temporarily you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card which covers medical care if you become ill or have an accident. Certain categories of people have full eligibility to health services in Ireland under EU rules – see the further information section on medical cards.

Nationals of non-EC or non-EEA countries (except Switzerland)

In general, if you are a national of a non-EU or non-EEA country (with the exception of Switzerland), you are regarded as ordinarily resident in Ireland if you can show the Health Service Executive (HSE) that you intend to live here for at least a year. The HSE may look for evidence that you are legally entitled to live here for at least a year. Here are some examples of this evidence:

  • A work permit or visa, a statement from your employer or a contract of employment
  • Evidence of transfer of funds, bank accounts, pensions
  • Proof of purchase of a property or property rental, including evidence that the property in question is your main residence
  • A GNIB (Garda National Immigration Bureau) residence permission as stamped on your passport

If you are a dependant of a non-EU/non-EEA/non-Swiss national, the same rules about ordinary residence apply to you. In other words, the fact that a non-EU/non-EEA/non-Swiss national has established his or her eligibility for health services here does not mean that non-resident dependants are also entitled to health services in Ireland.

Students from non-EU or non-EEA countries (except Switzerland)

If you are a student from a non-EU or non-EEA country (with the exception of Switzerland), you are generally regarded as ordinarily resident if you are registered for a course of study that will last for at least one academic year.

If you are here for a shorter period, you are regarded as a visitor and you do not have any entitlement to free or subsidised health services.

Asylum seekers and refugees

Asylum seekers are given medical cards for the period during which their application for refugee status is being considered. If you get refugee status, then you are regarded as ordinarily resident and you come under the usual rules for entitlement to health services.

Irish nationals who have been living outside Ireland

If you come back to live in Ireland and are working or self-employed here or if you intend to stay for a year, then you are ordinarily resident and come under the usual rules.

If you are not in this situation and you have been living and working in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, your entitlement to health services when you return is decided under the rules applying to EU nationals.

If you have been abroad on a short-term contract, you continue to be regarded as ordinarily resident.

If you have been resident abroad for a period of up to three years but your Local Health Office of the HSE is satisfied that you did not establish an entitlement to health services in any other country, the HSE should regard you as ordinarily resident in Ireland if you require treatment when you return to Ireland. This factor is important in that it ensures that people who emigrate from Ireland do not lose their health service eligibility on residence grounds before they have a chance to establish eligibility elsewhere. This provision does not apply where someone is covered by EU regulations in another country and, in particular, it would not entitle a person temporarily resident in another EU country to have the HSE extend the European Health Insurance Card beyond the normal period.

People who are not entitled to free health services

If you are not ordinarily resident and you do not come under any of the headings described above, the HSE may either apply the full economic cost for any services provided or provide urgent necessary treatment at a reduced charge or without charge in cases of hardship.

Page edited: 31 March 2014



Related Documents

Contact Us

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or you can visit your local Citizens Information Centre.