You are here: Home > Environment > Water services > Water charges

Water charges


A new system of domestic water charges has been introduced for homes that are connected to a public water supply or to public wastewater services. Irish Water, the new national water services authority, will administer the charges.

Changes to water charging system

New measures announced on 19 November 2014 include:

  • Caps on annual charges
  • A water conservation grant of €100 per year
  • A reduced charge of €3.70 per 1,000 litres
  • PPS Numbers will no longer be required for registration with Irish Water
  • Closing date for registration extended to 2 February 2015
  • First quarterly bills will issue from April 2015, in respect of January-March 2015

Read more about the new measures in this summary of the key elements (pdf) and a set of detailed FAQs (pdf).

There is no change at present in the charging system for people on group water schemes or for commercial users.

We will publish a full description of the new water charging system in the coming days.

How to apply

You can apply in one of three ways by 2 February 2015:

  • Online:
  • By phone: LoCall 1890 448 448 or +353 1 707 2824, 8am-8pm, 7 days a week
  • By post: Complete the application form and return it in the prepaid envelope provided

For all other queries to Irish Water:

  • Website:
  • Phone: LoCall 1890 278 278 or +353 1 707 2828, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • Minicom: 1890 378 378 (for hearing-impaired customers with their own minicom equipment)
Page updated: 25 November 2014



Related Documents

  • Water supply
    The various ways that water is supplied to homes and businesses.
  • Water quality
    Describes how the quality of drinking water supplies is monitored and enforced. Outlines health risks of poor water quality.
  • Natural gas services in Ireland
    Natural gas in Ireland can be used for domestic central heating, cooking, etc. Find out about connection to the network and the services that are available.

Contact Us

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or you can visit your local Citizens Information Centre.