You are here: Home > Environment > Waste management and recycling > Tax relief on domestic service charges

Tax relief on domestic service charges


In the past, tax relief was available if you paid service charges to a local authority or other provider of water, refuse or sewage services. The relief was granted in each tax year in respect of charges due and paid in the previous year.

This tax relief has ended. You cannot claim tax relief on service charges paid from 2011 onwards.

If you have not yet claimed for service charges paid in 2010 or previous years, it is now too late to put in a claim, as this had to be done within 4 years of the end of the relevant tax year.

The charges that you paid for the following services qualified for tax relief:

Further information

There is more detail (pdf) on

Page edited: 24 February 2016



Related Documents

  • Housing tax credits and reliefs
    It is possible to claim tax relief on certain housing expenses. Find out more.
  • Tax issues for tenants
    Describes the rules on tax relief for private tenants, which is being phased out. Also covers the requirement to deduct tax from your rent payments if your landlord lives abroad, unless you pay rent through an agent.
  • Taxation and medical expenses
    Tax relief is available for private health and long term care insurance. It is also available for certain medical expenses.

Contact Us

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or you can visit your local Citizens Information Centre.