Finding a job in Ireland


If you are moving to Ireland or considering re-locating here, finding a job is probably going to be one of your priorities. It is advisable to have employment and possibly some accommodation organised in advance of your journey but it is not a requirement. If you are planning to move country, it makes sense to do some research into the opportunities available here, the average rates of pay and taxation issues and to ensure there are no restrictions that would preclude you from working here.

The Citizens Information website does not carry any information about job vacancies for any sector of the Irish economy. It does not accept CVs/résumés and cannot forward them to employers on your behalf. Recruitment agencies in Ireland offer a wide range of employment opportunities - from casual employment to specialised skills - see 'Where to apply' below.

This document will provide you with information and advice about coming to work in Ireland and your rights when finding and securing a job as a foreign national employee in Ireland.


Quality and Qualifications Ireland is the Irish centre for the recognition of international qualifications. It has an International Qualifications Database. You need to know about how qualifications are recognised in Ireland and about the mutual recognition of professional qualifications. If you have a professional qualification, you should check with the Irish branch of your professional body as to whether your qualifications are acceptable for use in Ireland - see 'Professions and careers' below.

EEA nationals

If you are an EEA or Swiss national coming to work in Ireland, you are entitled to be treated like any other applicant when you apply for work. You are free to apply for any job vacancy, including jobs in the public sector. These include jobs in the Irish army and the Irish police force (An Garda Síochána), but not the Irish diplomatic service.

Note: the EEA (European Economic Area) comprises the European Union (EU) member states, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

European Employment Services (EURES)

Citizens of the EU/EEA are free to live and work in other member states without restriction. To facilitate the free movement of workers between member states, the EURES network consisting of the public employment service and the European Commission in each country has been established. EURES aims to:

  • Provide a European Job Placement Services for jobseekers
  • Offer advice and guidance on how to look for a job in the EEA and the possibilities that exist for finding work in another country
  • Provide a recruitment service to employers who wish to recruit in EEA member states
  • Provide information on living and working conditions in EEA member states

Within each EU/EEA member state, specially trained placement officers (called EURES Advisers) provide free information and advice to workers and employers about all of the above issues. EEA jobseekers who wish to work in another member state will obtain information on jobs and information on living/working conditions in the EEA here. If you are looking for work, you can also post your CV on the EURES website, where it can be accessed by thousands of employers throughout the EEA. This will help maximise your chances of securing employment.

Non-EEA nationals

In general non-EEA nationals (apart from some exceptions) must have a employment permit to work in Ireland. Since 12 October 2007, non-EEA nationals who are carrying out scientific research for approved research organisations do not need an employment permit.

The arrangements for employment permits include:

  • Critical Skills Employment Permits which are available for all occupations with an annual salary above €60,000 and for a restricted range of occupations with an annual salary above €30,000
  • General Employment Permits which are available mainly for occupations with salaries between €30,000 and €60,000 which are not eligible for a Critical Skills Employment Permit. The General Employment Permit application must meet a labour market test showing that the position could not be filled from within the EEA.

Your nearest Irish embassy or consulate will be able to advise on whether you require a travel visa before coming to Ireland.

Casual work

These jobs are often advertised in shop windows, in shopping centres, through daily Irish newspapers and through employment agencies. While many of these jobs do not require any specific professional qualifications, it is advisable to bring evidence of any educational standards (such as secondary school certificates, diplomas, and degrees) you have attained with you to Ireland. It is also useful to bring an up-to-date résumé/CV in the English language with you, as you may be requested to supply information on any experience or expertise you may have.

If you are planning to come to Ireland and are seeking casual employment, you could register with a recruitment agency in advance of your journey. You should also keep an eye on advertisements for casual workers in shops/stores.

Professions and careers

Finding a career job in Ireland will involve a little more planning than looking for casual work. While a career job may take a little longer to secure, you are advised get organised and start applying for jobs before you travel. It is also useful to bear in mind that these jobs are generally paid at a higher level than other jobs that do not require any qualifications. Almost all professions in Ireland have associations or societies in Ireland that represent and often regulate their members. These associations will provide information on recognition of professional qualifications, employment opportunities and careers. Almost all of these organisations have their own websites (pdf), which you can search for online using any good search engine.


All employees, irrespective of their nationality, experience, expertise or profession, are protected by the law in Ireland. These laws set down specific rules about minimum rates of pay, working hours, leave, health and safety, changing jobs and employment rights.

For commercial reasons, it is not possible for the Citizens Information website to carry information about actual job vacancies, specific employment opportunities or information on careers in Ireland. The Citizens Information website cannot accept résumés/CVs or provide information on specific career paths.


If you are applying for a job in Ireland through a recruitment agency, it's worth bearing in mind that it is very unusual that you are charged for these services.

How to apply

When you apply for a job, you need to have a curriculum vitae (CV) or résumé in English. This is a summary or listing of your qualifications and work experience. You also should have original copies of your qualifications and official copies of them in English. If you are in Ireland and you need to have documents translated into English, you can contact the embassy or consulate of your country for assistance.

Qualifications recognition: you can download a comparability statement for your qualification and a user guide (pdf) from

If you are seeking employment in Ireland, the job advertisement or recruitment agency will advise you how to apply for the job.

If you are a non-EEA national, you can find out more information about General Employment Permits and Critical Skills Employment Permits on the website of the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation.

If you need a visa, you must apply online for an Irish visa.

Where to apply

Contact information for recruitment agencies in Ireland is available in the telephone directory or through an online search.

Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation

Employment Permits Section

Earlsfort Centre
Lower Hatch Street
Dublin 2
D02 PW01

Opening Hours: Helpline only: Monday to Friday 9:30am - 5pm
Tel: +353 1 417 5333
Locall: 1890 201 616
Fax: +353 1 631 3268
Page edited: 20 October 2016