Community Employment Childcare Programme


The Community Employment Childcare (CEC) Programme provides childcare places for Community Employment (CE) applicants who need childcare so that they can take up a place on a CE scheme. Both existing CE participants and new entrants can apply for the CEC Programme.


The number of places available under the CEC Programme is limited. Places are allocated on a first-come first-served basis.

You may qualify for a childcare place while on CE if:

  • You have been offered a place on a CE scheme
  • You are the main carer of a child or children
  • You need assistance with child care in order to take up a place on a CE scheme
  • Your child is under 5 years of age on the childcare start date for CEC pre-school
  • Your child is under 13 years of age on the childcare start date for CEC after-school

Places will be provided for 50 weeks in a 12-month period. If you are absent from CE for a prolonged period you will not be able to avail of child care through the CEC Programme.

Early Childhood Care and Education Scheme

If your child is participating in Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) Scheme at the same time as you are on CE (either morning or afternoon), that child cannot transfer to a childcare place on the CEC Programme. However, if a you are attending CE on an alternative time of day to the child's ECCE programme you can also avail of a childcare place on the CEC Programme while you are on CE.


The maximum amount per child that childcare providers may charge to parents per week is:

  • Part time: €15 per week
  • Afterschool: €15 per week

How to apply

The CE sponsor will tell you about the CEC Programme and give you a list of childcare providers participating in the programme. You should then contact a childcare provider in your area to book a childcare place under the CEC Programme . You can use your letter of offer of a CE place to do this.

If you are already on CE, your sponsor will give you a letter stating this. The childcare provider will accept your letter and offer you a place, if there are places available.

If you cannot find a place for your child you should contact your local City or County Childcare Committee and let them know the area in which you need a childcare place.

Page edited: 10 July 2014