Comenius Programme 2007-2013
The Comenius programme is part of the Lifelong Learning Programme, an EU-funded education and training programme.
This programme is closed to new applications and has been replaced by Erasmus+.
The Comenius Programme is aimed at:
- Pupils in school to the end of upper secondary education (covering nursery, primary and secondary schooling including technical and vocational education)
- Schools, as specified by member states
- Teachers and other staff within those schools
- Associations, non-profit organisations, NGOs and representatives of those involved in school education
- People and bodies responsible for the organisation and delivery of education at local, regional and national levels
- Research centres and bodies concerned with lifelong learning issues
- Higher education institutions
- Bodies providing guidance, counselling and information services relating to any aspect of lifelong learning.
The main specific objectives of the Comenius programme are to:
- Improve the mobility of pupils and educational staff in the countries involved
- Encourage the learning of modern foreign languages
- Support the development of innovative ICT-based content, services, teaching methods and practice for lifelong learning
The following actions are supported by the Comenius Programme:
Comenius School Partnership Projects – this promotes transnational cooperation between schools (this replaces the Comenius 1 programme)
Comenius In Service Training for professional development (formerly Comenius 2)
Comenius Multilateral Projects to improve the initial or in-service training of teachers and other people working in the school education sector. (formerly Comenius 2)
Comenius Networks which are designed to create synergies between Comenius school projects and staff training projects (formerly Comenius 3)
Accompanying Measures (formerly Complementary Measures)
In Ireland, Comenius is jointly run by the European Commission and Léargas - the Exchange Bureau
How to apply
For further information on the application procedures and management of Comenius, you should contact Léargas.